Tooth Fillings in Garden Grove, Orange County
Proper preventive measures combine a proper at-home oral care regimen and regular dental checkups with professional cleaning. Many people can successfully prevent decay from starting, or ever needing fillings. However, dental fillings are still one of the most common tooth restoration procedures performed at our practice in Garden Grove, CA.
If you are looking to repair cracked, broken, decayed, or worn down teeth, dental fillings can be a great option to help restore your smile and proper function of your mouth. Before proceeding with the treatment, the dentist will perform a thorough dental exam, and then recommend the best treatment for your case.
What to Expect with Dental Fillings
If you’re a suitable candidate for fillings, we will take you through the common steps of getting the right dental restoration, including:
Step 1: Material selection
Your dentist will help you to choose between:
- Tooth-colored fillings – These include glass ionomer, composite resin, and porcelain materials. They can be matched to the exact color of your natural teeth for a natural look, and offer great resistance to decay. Porcelain can be fused with metal to provide a stronger restoration
Step 2: Method of placement
We offer two types of filings based on their placement approach. These are:
- Direct restorations – The site will be prepared and the filling bonded directly in a single-appointment procedure. Direct fillings can be made from amalgam, composite, glass ionomer, or porcelain fused with metal.
- Indirect restorations – For this option, you will need at least dental visits. On your first appointment, the dentist will prepare the site and take a mold that will be used to create your custom filling. On the next appointment, the filling will be placed, adjusted for a proper fit, and then cemented in place. Indirect restorations include crowns, inlays, onlays, and veneers.
Step 3: Personal preference
The type of filling used depends on your specific needs and the best way to repair the cavity, damaged, or weak tooth. Some of the factors that may affect your choice include:
- Position of the damaged or infected tooth
- Your oral and general health
- Biting force in the affected area
- Durability required
- Your schedule – one or more appointments
Schedule a Dental Consultation at Precision Dental OC
If you have any questions or concerns about dental fillings or the available tooth repair options, our friendly staff will be happy to help you. Please contact our office at Garden Grove, CA, today to schedule your appointment.