Dental Exams in Garden Grove, Orange County
Routine dental exams are a key component of maintaining optimal oral health and overall good health. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends that you visit your dentist every six months. However, each person is unique, and all your family’s oral needs are never the same.
Your family deserves the best dental care in Garden Grove, CA, and that is why our friendly staff takes your first dental appointment very seriously. Whether it has been six months or years since your last dental appointment, our dentist will perform a thorough dental exam to assess the condition of your teeth, gums, jaws, and other oral tissues to identify any existing or potential concerns, and create a personalized preventive or treatment plan.
What to Expect
Your medical history review
The goal is to find out whether you have any medical conditions, or are using any medications that may affect your oral health. The dentist will ask for:
- Any illnesses or medical conditions you are currently receiving treatment for
- Any medications or supplements you are currently taking
- Any known allergies or adverse reactions to anesthesia – either yours or a family member
- Your lifestyle habits – such as alcohol consumption and the use of tobacco products
This is an integral part of your first dental exam as it will help the dentist to identify the need for precautionary measures when creating your custom treatment plan.
During your dental exam, the dentist will visually inspect your mouth using mouth mirrors, high intensity lights, and other specialized dental equipment. This process includes:
- Careful examination of the surface of your teeth to check for cracks, decay, cavities
- Inspection of your gum tissues for signs of gum disease
- Examination of any existing restorations, such as fillings and crowns to ensure that they’re in good condition
Oral cancer screening
The dentist will inspect your lips, tongue, gums, throat, face, neck, roof of your mouth, and other oral tissues to check for early signs of cancer and other conditions.
If necessary, the dentist may take bitewings or x-rays to detect abnormalities underneath the surface that are not apparent to the naked eye
Schedule a Dental Exam at Precision Dental OC
Create Your Custom Oral Plan
The dental exam will reveal not only the condition of your mouth, but also your general health. Depending on the results, the dentist will recommend preventive actions to maintain your oral health, or schedule any urgent treatments to prevent the problem from getting worse and ultimately increasing the treatment cost.
At Precision Dental, we want to keep you and your family’s smile bright and healthy! Contact our offices at Garden Grove, CA, to schedule your dental exam.